Thursday, March 29, 2012

embedding a DTS package which contains a 'Copy SQL Server Objects Task'

Hi,

I am getting an error when doing the above.

I create a new SSIS package, drag in an Execute DTS 2000 Package Task, select and embed a DTS package which consists only one one task (as above), and then change the source & destination details (svr + user/pwd). Then when I go to the Copy tab, I get the following error when I hit Select Objects, to view the objects which the embedded DTS package should copy:

SQL-DMO error 21776: general error.

On further inspection, none of the objects selected for copy within the atomic/original DTS package, remain selected for copy within the embedded DTS package.

I have googled to search for an answer to this one, but to no avail. Any ideas would be greatly welcomed.

Thanks,

Tamim.

Off the top of my head I am not sure...but I wonder if there is more to this or perhaps what the real goal is?

I ask because if your only dealing with one transfer task from a dts package, then why not just create a new SSIS package using the new ssis transfer tasks? Prehaps you have 100s of said DTS packages, and you need to keep them going rather than rebuild all. However, we should always keep in mind that while the Execute DTS 2000 Package Task is nice for 'keeping things running' from the old version, over time you will want to rebuild any DTS pacakge as a 'native' SSIS 2005 pacakge allows you to do a lot more AND DTS is considered a deprecated technology, which does mean its fading form the picure. If you want you can read more about that here.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms403408.aspx

Hope that helps.

|||

'...if your only dealing with one transfer task from a dts package, then why not just create a new SSIS package using the new ssis transfer tasks?...'

Sure. And that's exactly what I did, thus reducing the problem to being merely academic - but it's still there....

Thanks Craig,

No comments:

Post a Comment