Thursday, March 29, 2012

Embedded PDF and Excel Files

I want to upload PDF and Excel files to the Report Server database. I
would like to display them in a custom web application. When working
with the ReportViewer control, I can easily show reports. I can't
figure out the process on how to show a PDF to a user. In particular,
if the user selects a PDF ( I can check the MIMETYPE), then, how do I
get the file from Report Server so I can stream it to the user?On Oct 10, 3:21 pm, "goo...@.landy.net" <goo...@.landy.net> wrote:
> I want to upload PDF and Excel files to the Report Server database. I
> would like to display them in a custom web application. When working
> with the ReportViewer control, I can easily show reports. I can't
> figure out the process on how to show a PDF to a user. In particular,
> if the user selects a PDF ( I can check the MIMETYPE), then, how do I
> get the file from Report Server so I can stream it to the user?
If you create a report that has the same format and output as the PDF
and Excel files, you could call the report and automatically render it
to PDF or Excel with a download prompt via URL. Here are a couple
examples.
http://ServerX/reportserver?/SomeDirectory/ReportName&rs:Command=Render&Param1=SomeValue&rs:Format=PDF
-or-
http://ServerX/reportserver?/SomeDirectory/ReportName&rs:Command=Render&Param1=SomeValue&rs:Format=Excel
Here's the URL format:
http://<ServerName>/reportserver?/<Directory>/<ReportName>&rs:Command=Render&<ParameterName>=<ParameterValue>&rs:Format=<PDF/CSV/XML/Excel/MHTML>
Hope this helps.
Regards,
Enrique Martinez
Sr. Software Consultant|||On Oct 10, 8:36 pm, EMartinez <emartinez...@.gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 10, 3:21 pm, "goo...@.landy.net" <goo...@.landy.net> wrote:
> > I want to upload PDF and Excel files to the Report Server database. I
> > would like to display them in a custom web application. When working
> > with the ReportViewer control, I can easily show reports. I can't
> > figure out the process on how to show a PDF to a user. In particular,
> > if the user selects a PDF ( I can check the MIMETYPE), then, how do I
> > get the file from Report Server so I can stream it to the user?
> If you create a report that has the same format and output as the PDF
> and Excel files, you could call the report and automatically render it
> to PDF or Excel with a download prompt via URL. Here are a couple
> examples.http://ServerX/reportserver?/SomeDirectory/ReportName&rs:Command=
=3DRend...
> -or-http://ServerX/reportserver?/SomeDirectory/ReportName&rs:Command=3DRe=
nd...
> Here's the URL format:
> http://<ServerName>/reportserver?/<Directory>/<ReportName>&rs:Command=3DR=
ende=ADr&<ParameterName>=3D<ParameterValue>&rs:Format=3D<PDF/CSV/XML/Excel/=MHTML>
> Hope this helps.
> Regards,
> Enrique Martinez
> Sr. Software Consultant
These are generic PDF files, not based on a report so they cannot be
rendered. We are using Reporting Services to provide security not
only to reports, but also some ancillary PDF and Excel files.|||Where does an uploaded pdf get stored'
Our uploaded pdf changes every week and rather than reupload everytime I was
hoping we could just save changes to the location it was uploaded to.
Many Thanks
"google@.landy.net" wrote:
> On Oct 10, 8:36 pm, EMartinez <emartinez...@.gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Oct 10, 3:21 pm, "goo...@.landy.net" <goo...@.landy.net> wrote:
> >
> > > I want to upload PDF and Excel files to the Report Server database. I
> > > would like to display them in a custom web application. When working
> > > with the ReportViewer control, I can easily show reports. I can't
> > > figure out the process on how to show a PDF to a user. In particular,
> > > if the user selects a PDF ( I can check the MIMETYPE), then, how do I
> > > get the file from Report Server so I can stream it to the user?
> >
> > If you create a report that has the same format and output as the PDF
> > and Excel files, you could call the report and automatically render it
> > to PDF or Excel with a download prompt via URL. Here are a couple
> > examples.http://ServerX/reportserver?/SomeDirectory/ReportName&rs:Command=Rend...
> > -or-http://ServerX/reportserver?/SomeDirectory/ReportName&rs:Command=Rend...
> >
> > Here's the URL format:
> > http://<ServerName>/reportserver?/<Directory>/<ReportName>&rs:Command=Rende-r&<ParameterName>=<ParameterValue>&rs:Format=<PDF/CSV/XML/Excel/MHTML>
> > Hope this helps.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Enrique Martinez
> > Sr. Software Consultant
> These are generic PDF files, not based on a report so they cannot be
> rendered. We are using Reporting Services to provide security not
> only to reports, but also some ancillary PDF and Excel files.
>

No comments:

Post a Comment